Monday, October 26, 2009

CO Trip (beware: long post)


Jessie knew we'd like this place called the paint mines. Like something out of "Star Wars", this was some of the most unusual scenery imaginable. It was like a small Bryce Canyon with many different colors, including pink.

This was the leader of the sand people, I think. It emerged to protect it's domain.

Cool cubbies were everywhere.

The sandstone was actually pretty sharp, because the crust was full of quartz. Most of the kids found that out.

A closer shot.

The high plains wind was relentless.

Mushroom?

These sandstone formations did not seem to be in the path of any streams.

Tight squeeze.

There were a lot of little hides, but nothing we'd actually call caves.

Have some fun, dang it!
We only had the energy to see about 1/4 of this place.

Traversing the formations.

No one got killed climbing, so that was a success.

Another one of those dang cousins.

Rock on!

At the funhouse.

No caption necessary.

Driveable bean bags.

Where else would Luke be?

The new look.

Give an inch and they think they're a ruler.

Let's get this party started.

If I lose, I'm going to blame the car.
I should be driving.

Now that is a real smile.

Kid heaven.
Don't make me get off.

Fun, fun, fun

Everyone had a blast.

Even frog girl.

Smiling on cue.

Under the kissing camels formation.

The boy who refers to himself in 3rd person.

Colorado River geology: incredible! The kids: not sure.


One good baby

The mountaineer

Support your local geology.


This looked man-made.

Pretty stuff!

2 comments:

Stacy said...

You guys know how to have a good time!

And I really enjoyed seeing what one of Jennie's girls would look like with her red hair! I've always wondered.... :)

Lacey said...

How fun! Looks like you all had a great time! :) Colorado is beautiful.