Sunday, April 17, 2011

Amazing Grace, Amazing Love!


This is another sacrament meeting inspired post. A very talented flutist played a medley of hymns today and the first one was "Amazing Grace". The hymn brought the Holy Spirit into the meeting with intensity, in spite of the kids' energetic efforts to thwart any sacredness. Why is Amazing Grace such a touching hymn to so many people? Amazing Grace is played at funerals, parades, in sacred places, and in other places. This hymn has brought tears to so many eyes and anyone familiar with the words has a place in their hearts for Amazing Grace, which somehow explains perfectly the plan of salvation in its verses. When I heard this hymn today, I also heard the words "the worth of souls is great in the sight of God". This is a connection that all mankind can have with Heavenly Father. Even those that have strayed far from the straight and narrow path can feel Heavenly Father's love for them, which is more than any of us can comprehend. When viewing others, we should always "remember he or she is also a child of God, that very God who dearly wants that person to qualify for eternal life and return to Him one day" (Elder Russel M. Nelson). Because no language on earth has an accurate word or words to describe our Heavenly Father's grace, "amazing" will have to suffice.

2 comments:

Nolelaw said...

Aim's grandad died a couple of weeks ago. He was a deeply religious man and one my kids and I have grown particularly fond of over the years. Jacob sang a solo of Amazing Grace at his funeral. There wasn't a dry eye in the church.

I once was lost but now I'm found. Was blind but now I see.

Aim said...

I love to see your family pictures and read your blog....More posts and pics please (in all your free time)!!! We miss y'all. Love, Aim :)